Position: Research Associate, Urban Planning & GIS Expert, Scaling City Institutions for India (SCI-FI), Centre for Policy Research
The Centre for Policy Research (CPR) has been one of India’s leading public policy think tanks since 1973. The Centre is a non-profit, independent institution dedicated to conducting research that contributes to a more robust public discourse about the structures and processes that shape life in India.
CPR’s community of distinguished academics and practitioners represents views from many disciplines and across the political spectrum. Senior faculty collaborate with more than 50 young professionals and academics at CPR and with partners around the globe to investigate topics critical to India’s future. CPR engages around five broad themes: economic policy; environmental law and governance; international relations and security; law, regulation, and the state; and urbanisation.
The Scaling City Institutions for India: Water & Sanitation (SCI-FI: Water and Sanitation) at CPR is a multidisciplinary research, outreach and policy support initiative. It has two key thematic focus in areas of Land, Housing and Planning, and Water and Sanitation. The SCI-FI initiative is nested at CPR since 2013.
SCI-FI programme at CPR aims at cross-sectoral and policy-relevant research on urban sanitation. It seeks to understand the reasons for poor sanitation, and to examine how these might be related to technology, service delivery, institutions, governance, finance, and socio-economic dimensions. It also seeks to support national, state and city authorities in developing policies and programmes for intervention with the goal of increasing access to safe and sustainable sanitation in urban areas.
SCI-FI programme on Water and Sanitation has been supporting the Housing and Urban Development Department (H&UDD) of Odisha since 2013 and has also supported Panchayati Raj and Drinking Water (PR&DW) Department on developing Odisha Rural Sanitation policy. In the last one year, SCI-FI programme supported H&UDD and PR&DW on Urban Rural Convergence on FSM and PWM.
This position, located at H&UDD is for a project on extending Technical Assistance to the State of Odisha to scale up Faecal Sludge Management (FSM) and Plastic Waste Management (PWM) in Odisha through urban-rural convergence. It aims to mainstream Urban-Rural FSM convergence across the State of Odisha; support Urban-Rural convergence of Material Recovery Facilities (MRF) for Plastic Waste Management (PWM) across the State; to inform state-level policy and legislative frameworks based on bottom-up learning.
Description of Roles and Responsibilities
- Support in developing spatial plans based on mapping for district wide sanitation plans and performing spatial analysis using GIS
- Preparing maps in GIS platform using the primary and secondary dataset
- Take lead on drafting of district wide plan documents and state policies, guidance notes on urban Rural
- Convergence on FM and PWM
- Support the team in providing technical assistance for preparing project reports and plans, covering the entire gamut of water and sanitation, viz. policy and legislation, technology options for urban and rural convergence on FSM and PWM ; Develop guidance note, SOPs , various tools on urban-rural convergence on PWM and FSM
- Analyse existing sanitation sector policies and policy environment, governance and institutional bottlenecks, systems of management and coordination systems around sanitation sector programmes with a planning lens
- Represent SCI-FI, CPR project on urban-rural convergence at various meetings and workshops
- Work in close coordination with district, ULBs , PRIs and the State government
- Liaison with various stakeholders in the State to facilitate urban-rural convergence work on FSM and PWM
- Any other responsibilities as may be assigned
Essential Qualification and Skills
- Post Graduate Degree in Urban /Environment Planning
- At least 2 years of relevant experience in planning and GIS. Prior experience of working with the Government will be an added advantage
- Excellent analytical and research skills, both in qualitative/quantitative approaches
- Proficient cartographic skills and experience of ArcGIS
- Good oral and written skills in English and Odiya
- Excellent interpersonal and networking skills
- A team player, should have sensitivity towards interdisciplinary differences, and orientation to manage
- government expectations
Selection Criteria/Application process
This is a full-time contractual position in Bhubaneswar, Odisha for two years and requires extensive travelling to project locations.
We are an equal opportunity organization and encourage diversity within the organization. If you are a committed and creative professional who is looking for a stimulating and excellent working experience then we look forward to receiving your application.
How to apply
If you are interested in exploring this opportunity with us, please send an updated resume and cover letter to email@example.com by 9thDecember 2022 explicitly mentioning “RA-UP & GIS Expert/URC [Your Name]” in the subject line. Kindly also mention your current and expected remuneration. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for further consideration.